The Biological Sciences program is offered to fulfill the needs of the community for a program to educate students in the field of life and environmental sciences.
In the Fall of 1997, on the 10th anniversary of establishment of BIHE, the Department of Biological Sciences admitted its first class of students. Since then, the department has offered a continually developing program to the students, allowing them to study life sciences and become familiar with cutting-edge technologies of the field.
The Department provides a well-balanced, high quality undergraduate education in biology, fostering a commitment to learning and to the application of biological principles throughout life, while equipping its students with the knowledge, insights, and skills needed for the best workplace or graduate level educational opportunities.
Although the program primarily focuses on the principal concepts of biology, it also allows students who are interested in medical sciences to become familiar with its core principles.
The Department of Biology contributes to the fundamental knowledge and understanding of life, and to advancing the health and comfort of living beings on this planet.
The mission of the Bachelor Degree in Biology program is to offer a distinguished program and an academic education of the highest quality to our students in Iran, despite all imposed restrictions. The program effectively trains its students for professions in the life sciences fields and to be prepared for more advanced studies. By infusing and integrating the spirit of research into the program, the department encourages and inspires students to actively participate in the generation of knowledge in the life sciences.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide students with an awareness of the diversity of life and the function of living systems
- To provide students with a core knowledge base in biology with particular emphasis on molecular biology, biotechnology, cell biology, genetics, biochemistry, physiology, ecology, and evolutionary biology
- To provide students with an opportunity to engage in discovery, through the collection of data and the acquisition of field and laboratory skills in biology
- To provide students with an opportunity to become proficient in organizational, analytical, and computational skills used in biology, including hypothesis testing, experimental design, data management, statistical analysis, and interpretation of data
- To provide students with an opportunity to become proficient in communication skills used in biology, including strategies for accessing scientific literature, effective scientific writing, and effective oral and visual presentation using up-to-date techniques and technology
- To expose students to the most recent ideas and discoveries in biology and provide students with inspiration for creativity, critical thinking, modeling, and theory development in biology
- To provide students with a sense of the importance of contributions from the study of biology to other disciplines and for enhancing the welfare of humans, other species, and global environment.